Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Things I Learned on Pikes Peak

Today's adventure was a drive to the summit of Pikes Peak. It was sunny at the top, above the clouds!
Did you know? "Pikes Peak" has no apostrophe in the name! (Misplaced apostrophes are one of my pet peeves. But I found it interesting that there is officially none in the name of the mountain!)
We met a yellow-bellied marmot along the road! He was kind enough to pose for a picture... but he declined rolling over to show us his yellow belly!
Did you know? The words to America the Beautiful were inspired by the view from Pikes Peak. There is a monument about it on the summit.

8 comments:

  1. Oh my, the picture above the clouds is beautiful; it must have been breath taking!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not know that the words to America the Beautiful were inspired by there, but now I do and can completely see why!
    Great Pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never knew there wasn't an apostrophe in Pikes Peak. Nor did I know about the words to America the Beautiful. But I can definitely undertand why now. That picture is just break-taking!!! Thank you for sharing it with us. The yellow-bellied marmot is too cute. It was awfully nice of him to "pose" for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never been out that way--My husband is from Colorado & I've been there, but he always talks about taking me to some of the places y'all have been to this summer. They are gorgeous--very high, though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful pictures, Karla. The viewpoint reminds me a little of the one high above the Columbia River.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karla, I visited today hoping to find more posts from your trip. :( I hope you are having a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We just visited Pikes Peak this week, as we are back here for a 10th anniversary/family vacation. LOVE Pikes Peak!! Great pics!

    ReplyDelete

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP